Monday, May 3, 2010

Lonely Planet? Yes Please!

I apologize for being out of touch. I was on an exciting adventure "down under", investigating unexplored terrains, jumping deep caverns, and wrestling against deadly animals... otherwise known as: I took a nice, long vacation in Australia. And it was amazing. Lots of new writing material!

Ecstatic to be near the ocean...


One of my best discoveries while in Australia actually occurred at the Sydney airport. I was feeling a bit perturbed, because sometime between when I arrived in Australia, and prepared to exit, I lost my Dromamine (an absolute essential for me when suffering through long flights). So, I went in search of a drug store that would carry it. Alas, I did not find my precious drug, but I found something much more interesting...

A Lonely Planet Store!


What is this?! I walked into the store, with it's warm lighting and climbing book shelves of travel books, and my eyes widened. The amount of unique and valuable travel accessories was outstanding. I found a book on Cape Town (my next adventure). I found unbreakable water bottles that included their own filters and displayed beautiful Japanese designs. And I found adorable, biodegradable cloth animals (kangaroos, koalas, and a whale) that adhere to a keychain or purse (bought six). I found a travel sanctuary.

I talked to the young woman behind the counter, and she explained that it was a concept store, the one and only of it's kind. I asked if it was successful, and she smiled and said yes, but there were no announced plans to open more. She asked what I did for a living, and when I lied and told her I was a travel writer (actually I said, "I'm a very well known and successful American travel writer"), she suggested I get in touch with their company and apply to do some writing for them.

I figured I'll see how successful my blogging becomes first.

Travel gurus and junkies, check it out:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/press-centre/press-release.cfm?press_release_id=371

No comments:

Post a Comment