Monday, August 27, 2012

Goodbye Philadelphia: Day 1!

After 1.5 years in the great city of Philadelphia, I am facing my last week. It's strange how my "loathing" of this city when I first began my work here transformed into admiration and love once I moved into a better neighborhood. Now, I'm a huge advocate of spending a week or weekend in this fabulous town. I've made a list of all the final places I wanted to visit and the food I want to have just one more time before I leave, and wanted to share my daily itinerary for anyone else visiting this city soon!

Monday, August 27, 2012

When I arrived, there was a torrential downpour and my pants, luggage, and laptop were all soaked. I peaked into A-Kitchen which is the restaurant in my building (the AKA at 18th and Walnut) and took a seat at the bar. The barista was kind and not very busy, so we chatted over my delicious latte and greek yogurt/granola/strawberry & blueberry parfait. $13.00 later, the rain slowed and I was saying my goodbyes. Excellent breakfast spot and good celebrity watching (Colin Farell ate here often while filming his movie Dead Man Dan, as did Dominic Cooper who I might have stalked... a little!)

a.kitchen at AKA Rittenhouse Square




Once I made it to my office on Market Street, I chose to have lunch at one of my favorite places: Honeygrow. It's fairly new and very delicious, and they have "make your own" stirfry, salads, and yogurt sundaes (and they have a selection of pre-determined menu items if you are feeling indecisive). I got my usual: egg noodles with bamboo shoots, broccoli, and red/green peppers mixed with chicken and a delicious spicy garlic sauce. And you walk away with a perfect lunch in a little brown box - all you need are chopsticks and sriracha sauce! You'll get addicted!

Honeygrow | Honest Eating + Growing Local


On my way home, I stopped at the most fanstastic beauty meca: Blue Mercury. They have the best selection of all my favorite products: Kiehl's, Morrocon Oil, Dermalogica, Bumble & Bumble, and La Mer. You can also visit its location in Chicago or New York City.

Blue Mercury - Beauty and Skin Care

Finally, my favorite meal of the day - dinner! I had to stop at Garces Trading Company. This low-key with high-yum spot is like a grocery store with a diner and a wine shop, all in one. Browse their wine selection and pick a nice red, then sit at a high-top and enjoy sharing small dishes with your friends from their reasonably priced menu. Start with the chef selection of cheese and charcuterie, then order the scallops which are plump and delightful, and any of the entrees will be delicious (I recommend either the pork chop or duck breast). If it's Wednesday, order the whole branzino (delicate and buttery!). But best of all? Dessert! Order the macaron assortment, or if you are too full, pick out a small box of them to take home!
 Garces Trading Company



Check out this great review: http://anthony-demarco.blogspot.com/2010/05/phillys-phinest-new-restaurant.html

More to come on Day 2!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment