Friday, February 26, 2010

The Shoe Makes a World of Difference

This is a lesson I learned the hard way, after I:
  • Broke my favorite pair of heels sprinting down the Cincinnati airport to make it to my Indianapolis flight (picture heel snapping, Emily flying forward)
  • Leaned over to unzip my knee high boots in security and a very unfortunate looking man behind me whistled and licked his lips
  • Stood outside a plane in Chicago (-10 F) for 30 minutes, in open toed pumps, waiting for my valet bag to be provided to me from the cargo hold
  • Slipped and fell outside a Starbucks after an ice storm, and coffee flew about ten feet in the air and landed all over my hair and trench coat
Needless to say, after several such instances, I found the solution: Uggs. Yes, I know Uggs = Ugly, but I am telling you, they have made a world of difference in my travels. For example, when I go through security in the morning, it takes me about 1.3 seconds to slip off each one, instead of untying, unzipping, or standing barefoot on the floor. Did I mention they are comfortable? And warm?


Now keep in mind, in the summer, they are not quite as useful. They are not as conspicuous with a summery dress or skirt, as they are under winter trousers. But I make do.

I have also been known to wear Uggs at work, but that is a whole different story for a different blog. And when it's rainy, I would also recommend keeping a pair of cute galoshes in your luggage, so you don't sit in an office with soggy pant legs all day, or worse, soggy panty hose.

Trust me. You'll never go back to travelling in heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment