Friday, March 26, 2010

The Heart of a Road Warrior

I am an American Airlines girl at heart. I've got the AAdvantage kind of attitude. And I love when AA runs their "Road Warrior" contest every year. I have actually considered entering, but with only 3.5 years under my belt, and the majority of my locations being "un exotic", I leave it up to the professionals.

You can read bios on each of this year's winners here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/specialtyPages/business.jsp

Caryn Carson, one of the women featured, really worded it best when asked for her own definition of road warrior: A Road Warrior is someone for whom there does not exist a separation between “home life” and “road life.” It’s all your life — wherever you go, there you are.

I feel like that statement should be followed with an "Hallelujah" or "Amen Sista!" There will always be a physical separation between a life in one city versus another. Different restaurants, different people, but the same thoughts, feelings, interests. Unfortunately there will always be a disconnect between my non road warrior friends and my travel / work buddies. Because the friends that have been on the road with you really know you better than anyone. It makes me sad when I tell my friends stories about my travel life. The light bulb doesn't turn on, there's no empathy, because my travel life isn't real, isn't relevant for them. They haven't physically seen it, can't imagine it. 

But for me, it's my life. Which reminds of a quote: Turns out it's not where you are but who you're with that really matters.

Very true.


On a side note, I once went on a terrible first date with someone I met online. After several conversations, compliments, and laughs, we finally met in person and sat down to share pizza. He looks at me then, quizzically, and asks, "So tell me, why do you think someone would want to date you? I mean, you're never here. You travel every week. What kind of guy would want that?"

The right kind, the kind who understands. A road warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment